Monday, June 25, 2018

Australian Betting Giants Sportsbet and CrownBet Clash over Trademarks

Casino News Daily
Australian Betting Giants Sportsbet and CrownBet Clash over Trademarks

Paddy Power’s Australian betting business Sportsbet is suing its rival bookmaker CrownBet over the latter’s plan to trademark the Sportingbet name, arguing that the move would harm its own business as the two brands sound very similar, Australian legal news outlet Lawyerly reports.

CrownBet was selected in March as the preferred bidder for William Hill’s Australian business in a deal valued at A$300 million. It is also important to note that CrownBet and Sportsbet were actually the two finalists in the highly competitive bidding process for William Hill Australia.

The British bookmaker made its foray into the Australian sports betting market in 2013 when it purchased the local operations of the Sportingbet brand as well as the Centrebet and Tom Waterhouse brands in a £460-million deal. The company later on brought all three under the William Hill Australia brand. Despite its global recognition, William Hill never managed to gain footing in the highly competitive Australian space and announced early in 2018 that it was looking to sell its local business.

CrownBet’s CEO Matt Tripp and his family had once owned the Sportingbet brand. In a recent interview the gambling executive said that his father was particularly happy about having the brand back in the family.

Reports emerged last month that CrownBet was considering to rebrand as Sportingbet following the William Hill Australia acquisition. It was understood that the operator filed a trademark application last month. It also submitted an application with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission to reserve the Sportingbet Pty Ltd name earlier in June.

CrownBet’s Rebranding Could Harm Sportsbet’s Business

In a June 21 statement of claims, Sportsbet said that Crownbet’s rebranding could violate its own trademark as the Sportsbet and Sporting brands sound very similar. The operator went on that the move was a “flagrant disregard” of its rights as the Sportsbet trademark owner.

It was also understood that Sportsbet, through its legal representatives, has sent a letter to CrownBet, urging the latter to withdraw its trademark application. CrownBet, in return, denied the request, pointing out that it intended to operate under the Sportingbet brand.

Sportsbet is concerned that the Sportingbet mark would mislead customers as many might think it is related to the Paddy Power-owned Australian operator. The company also believes that CrownBet is violating the Australian Consumer Law with its application to use a trademark so similar to the Sportsbet one.

A case management hearing is set to take place on July 25 before Justice Barry Beach, Lawyerly reports.

News about CrownBet being sued by its rival came as the company is in the middle of another acquisition deal, although it is the entity that is being purchased in this one. Canadian gambling giant The Stars Group announced in March that it would acquire 80% in the Australian operator thus securing its entry into Australia’s highly lucrative sports betting market.

The post Australian Betting Giants Sportsbet and CrownBet Clash over Trademarks appeared first on Casino News Daily.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Nicholas Seiken Claims Gold in 2018 WSOP $10,000 Limit 2-7 Lowball Triple Draw Championship

Casino News Daily
Nicholas Seiken Claims Gold in 2018 WSOP $10,000 Limit 2-7 Lowball Triple Draw Championship

Three days ago, Nicholas Seiken, a real estate broker from Texas, entered his first-ever standalone 2-7 Triple Draw event to eventually take it down, battling and outlasting a pack of seasoned pros. Late last night, the player joined the club of WSOP gold bracelet winners as he remained the last man standing in this year’s $10,000 Limit 2-7 Lowball Triple Draw Championship.

Seiken also collected $287,987 for outstanding performance in a game he did not have that much experience.

The tournament drew 109 entries, including a number of Triple Draw experts. Farzad Bonyadi, a three-time gold bracelet winner, was among the notables to enter the tournament. It is interesting to note that Bonyadi’s mother, Farhintaj, became the first female winner of this year’s edition of the series just a couple of days ago. She bested the field of the $1,000 Super Seniors.

Despite his effort, Bonyadi could not claim the Triple Draw Championship title last night and add another gold bracelet to his already impressive collection.

Aside from Seiken and Bonyadi, the final day of the tournament kicked off with 11 more survivors. Quite some of the remaining players struggled quite a bit throughout the day. But it looked as if Seiken, a player with significantly less experience than some of his remaining opponents, navigated through that final stage of the game very successfully.

Final Table and Heads-Up Play

By the time the official six-handed final table was set, Seiken had already built quite a stack. The player entered that final stage of the game as the chip leader with a significant lead over the next in line, who happened to be Bonyadi.

The eventual winner had 1.661 million in chips at that point to Bonyadi’s 943,000. Seiken seemingly had an easy run at the final table. In his post-victory interview, the player said that being the chip leader helped him a lot against the plethora of experienced players he was facing and he did not take much risk that would have cost him that advantage.

The only time the player lost the lead for a very short while was during three-handed play, when Randy Ohel replaced him at the top of the chip counts chart. Seiken himself admitted that he got a bit worried by Ohel’s short momentum.

Eventually, the player regained the lead, eliminated Kristijonas Andrulis in third place to cement his leading position and headed into heads-up against Ohel with a 3-2 advantage. The structure of the tournament allowed for a longer heads-up, but Seiken finished off his final opponent relatively quickly over the span of a 45-minute duel, which concluded with Ohel heading to the payout desk for a second-place prize of $177,992.

The 109-strong field of the championship tournament generated a prize pool of $1,024,600. The money was split into portions for the top 17 finishers, min-cashes starting from $14,864.

Following his latest triumph, Seiken told WSOP staff that while he is completely done with No-Limit Hold’em, we will be seeing more of him at the tables of mixed-game tournaments.

The post Nicholas Seiken Claims Gold in 2018 WSOP $10,000 Limit 2-7 Lowball Triple Draw Championship appeared first on Casino News Daily.

Caesars is New Emperor of NJ Online Gambling

Latest Casino Bonuses
Caesars is New Emperor of NJ Online Gambling
Caesars is New Emperor of NJ Online Gambling

Ever since online gambling has been made legal in New Jersey, there is only one operator who has been the undisputed ruler of the segment when it comes to the money side of it. This, of course, is PokerStars, the casino giant that exclusively caters to the needs of the most popular card game's aficionados.

However, that has now changed and only time will tell if this “new revenue order” will be permanent or we're entering the stage of constant overtaking. Caesars Interactive Entertainment has surpassed both PokerStars and Borgata and is now the new leader in the New Jersey poker market, revenue-wise.

PokerStars has, in fact, had a terrific streak of being first, which lasted for over two years – they took first position in April 2016 and haven't looked back, until now. In May 2018, Caesars dethroned them and now rules the NJ empire. The main reason behind this change is the state's joining of the Multi State Internet Gaming Association (MSIGA), which is now, therefore, sharing poker liquidity with other states – something Nevada and Delaware have been a part of for the past three years. It is because of this, and the fact that Caesars is the only operator offering online poker in those two states, that this operator benefits wildly from the situation which is reflected in their increased revenue, which has soared by more than 40%!

In total, New Jersey online operators amassed $24.3 million in May revenue, which is 1.3 million less than in the month of March, when the revenue record was set. This is the fifteenth month in a row that combined online casino and poker revenues to exceed $20 million in this state.

Source:

“New Jersey revenues up 15% as Caesars enjoys poker spike“, egr.global, June 14, 2018.

Grand Hyatt at City of Dreams Macau appoints new GM

World Casino News
Grand Hyatt at City of Dreams Macau appoints new GM

In a recent statement to the press, the Grand Hyatt Macau hotel situated in the City of Dreams Macau announced that Timothy Bruce (pictured) has been appointed its new general manager. According to the hotel at the casino resort, the placement is effective immediately. GGRAsia reports that the hotel, located in the heart of the […]

Betfred Founder Gets £10.2 Million Dividend as Company Faces Shop Closures and Lay-Offs

Casino News Daily
Betfred Founder Gets £10.2 Million Dividend as Company Faces Shop Closures and Lay-Offs

Betfred founder Fred Done received a £10.2 million dividend, as the company is gearing up for massive lay-offs and betting shop closures following the UK government’s recent announcement that it intends to crack down on the nation’s gambling machines sector.

Betfred reported a pre-tax loss of £18.1 million for the year ended September 24, 2017, down from a £32.4 million pre-tax profit from the previous year. Despite the decline, Mr. Done, whose net worth is estimated to be around £1.4 billion, received the same dividend as he did a year earlier.

Mr. Done and his brother, Peter, founded Betfred back in the 1960s. The bookmaker has grown into one of UK’s largest privately-owned gambling companies since then. It currently operates the nation’s third largest chain of betting shops with a total of 1,666 facilities.

The UK government confirmed last month that it would crack down on the highly controversial fixed-odds betting terminals by cutting the maximum stake the machines accept to just £2 from £100. The announcement caused a wave of protests from industry stakeholders as the maximum stake reduction would cost operators of such devices, Betfred included, hundreds of millions of pounds of gross gambling yield.

Mr. Done said last month that the crackdown could force them to close around 900 of their high street betting shops and lay off up to 4,500 workers. Reports emerged last month that the businessman was considering a judicial review in a bid to overturn the government’s decision to roll out a clampdown on the machines that campaigners have been describing as the “crack cocaine of gambling”.

Following last month’s announcement, Betfred Managing Director sent an email to staff, urging them to lobby MPs to oppose the crackdown, as the reduced stake would have a major impact “on the viability of a number of [the company’s] shops”.

It was understood earlier in June that under a reported agreement between the UK government and bookmakers, the FOBTs stakes might not be reduced before 2020.

Tote Sale

Betfred’s operations also include an online gambling platform, which the company will probably seek to boost in an attempt to offset the losses incurred by the FOBTs clampdown, as well as the Tote racing pool business.

The bookmaker acquired that latter business in 2011. The deal came with a seven-year monopoly over the provision of pool betting services across British racecourses. The monopoly expires this year and another operator, Britbet, is expected to assume control of racecourse pools across 55 major courses.

Reports surfaced earlier this year that Mr. Done was looking to sell the business and a deal was announced earlier this month. Betfred agreed to sell its pool betting operation to the Alizeti consortium, which includes racecourse owner and breeder Alex Frost. The consortium took an initial 25% share in the business with an option to buy the remaining 75% within the next three to five years. The deal could be worth around £150 million.

The post Betfred Founder Gets £10.2 Million Dividend as Company Faces Shop Closures and Lay-Offs appeared first on Casino News Daily.

Robert Nehorayan Takes Down 2018 WSOP $1,500 Limit Hold’em

Casino News Daily
Robert Nehorayan Takes Down 2018 WSOP $1,500 Limit Hold’em

Robert Nehorayan is known by many as Rec Rob, his nickname derived from him identifying himself as a recreational player. However, he outlasted last night a field that included seasoned poker pros like Daniel Negreanu, Chris Ferguson, and Ari Engel to win his first gold bracelet from the WSOP and his largest cash of $173,568.

The player topped the 596-strong field of Event #41: $1,500 Limit Hold’em. As mentioned above, some of poker’s top players entered the tournament to pursue another great accomplishment in the game. Of all fellow participants, Nehorayan had special praise for Terricita Gutierrez, a Limit Hold’em specialist whom the eventual champ considered his toughest opponent.

Terri, as Nehorayan called her, has been playing Limit Hold’em cash games every single day for years now to accumulate knowledge and experience that many other fellow players at the table lacked. She was ultimately eliminated in fourth place, good for $51,733.

The $1,500 event was played over three days through June 22. It saw 596 entries generate a prize pool of a little over $800,000. The top 90 places paid.

Day 3 Action Highlights

Day 3 of the tournament kicked off with 19 survivors in contention but seven of them quickly headed to the payout desk within the first 90 minutes of play. Action slowed up a bit afterward, as finalists became more aware of the event’s approaching end.

Chips swung back and forth throughout the day and the chip lead went from one player to another. Many of the remaining hopefuls had many ups and downs, but it can be said that Nehorayan managed to maintain a good stack and momentum throughout that final stage of the event. The brand new WSOP champion admitted that he had really good cards running his way, as well.

David Gee was the last player to be eliminated before the heads-up duel. That final duel took place between Nehorayan and one-time gold bracelet winner Kevin Song. Song won his piece 21 years ago for topping the field of a Limit Hold’em event. A second piece eluded him last night, unfortunately, although he fought really fiercely for it.

The match between the final two men standing began with Nehorayan holding a 3-1 advantage to Song. However, the latter quickly caught up and took the lead for a little while, putting great pressure on his opponent.

Nehorayan eventually regained his momentum and retook the chip lead to never look back. On Hand #286 of the final table, the player won a key pot that secured him with 3.9 million, while leaving Song with just 475,000.

The final hand of the tournament was dealt shortly after. On Hand #289, Nehorayan called from the button and Song raised. Nehorayan asked his opponent how much he had left and put him all in. Song tabled [8s][6s] to clash into Nehorayan’s [10s][7d]. The board landed [2c][Qh][9h][4h][Jh] to end Song’s participation in the tournament and seal the victory for Nehorayan.

The post Robert Nehorayan Takes Down 2018 WSOP $1,500 Limit Hold’em appeared first on Casino News Daily.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Engaged Nation Launches Award-Winning REACH Digital Engagement System at Palms Casino Resort Spa

RSS
Engaged Nation Launches Award-Winning REACH Digital Engagement System at Palms Casino Resort Spa

Palms ePlay Gamified Marketing Program to Reactivate Dormant Customers and Promote $620 Million Remodel of Property and Brand